Saturday, August 05, 2006

Ups and downs of life in Morocco

There are certain advantages to living in Morocco, and certain disadvantages. Growing up in Canada, I got used to the, I want it, I go get it mentality.
If I needed brown sugar at the supermarket, I'd go pick some up. But in Morocco, it's not always that simple.
Brown sugar being one example. Usually supermarkets here stock brown sugar, however lately there seems to be none. For the last month, I've been going to the various supermarkets in Rabat, checking the sugar aisle, only to find that there isn't any, anywhere.
Okay, so maybe I'm a little spoiled. But then the same thing happened with normal sugar. Though only for a few days, none could be found anywhere.
Yet another problem you get used to is that any non-basic ingredient is impossible to find. It seems that each American cookbook recipe requires at least one impossible-to-find ingredient. Canned pumpkin filling, butterscotch chips, peanut butter, etc. Once in a while you do come across a surprise, like coconut milk or a box of toffifee.
I get frustrated when I go to cook something, and am missing key ingredients that can't be found anywhere.

No comments: