Friday, September 15, 2006

Martha Hall Findlay: a refreshing surprise.

Out of nowhere, comes candidate Martha Hall Findlay. Previously, all the hype had been on other more famous (or perhaps infamous) candidates, and their main challengers. Ms. Findlay has responded, and in my opinion, primed herself to move up in the rankings and give the front runners something to be nervous about.

To make an analagy, many aspiring writers were pushed into the idea of writing, probably by a friend or relative who thought they wrote a good letter, or had an interesting story to tell.
But because their mother and best friend find them fascinating, doesn't mean they are. The aspiring writer might get to the step where they have four hundred pages of pouring their heart and soul out. But, as 99% of writers, me included, go on to find out. The publishing world aint that easy to crack.
I think the same thing goes for politicians wanting to become PM. A tight knit group of friends or political allies might tell them, "Hey, go for it, you have what it takes to be a great PM!"
Brison, Bennett, Volpe, Fry, and Ignatieff are all in this boat. They really believe that their group of friends is right and they can go on to lead the country.
With Findlay, I think we might have actually hit the one whose friends were right.

On her online G&M debate, she impressed impressed me. Although she didn't field my own question about General Dallair's intervention in Sudan, the questions she did take on received balanced, articulate and intelligent answers. She wasn't partisan sniping, and I have to say I agree with the majority of her stances. She got past the scratching the surface answers that Carolyn Bennett gave and said certain issues were important to her, such as the child development plan and health care, but not at the expense of a balanced budget. Some of her answers were long, which perhaps stopped her from responding to more questions. I'm sure she shied away from some difficult ones, but the ones she took on struck a chord of common sense in my books.

But there is bad news. I was hoping only one candidate would stand out and take on Rae or Ignatieff. Both of which I forsee losing badly in a federal election. Up until now, I thought that would be Dion.

I sometimes wonder if the core of Ignatieff and Rae's support is derived from people who want the Liberals to lose the next election. Some of the delegates may be disguised conservatives with an agenda. But another more serious issue could be that other star Liberals are hoping to sacrifice an upcoming election to the Grits in order to run themselves for the next leadership race when the party has rebuilt itself.

No comments: