Friday, October 13, 2006

Is Ignatieff floundering?

While the media has been criticizing Liberal leadership hopeful Michael Ignatieff as anti-Israeli for his harsh comments on the Qana tragedy, (calling it a war crime) I think he stated the plain truth. While Ignatieff is still not my first choice, I retract my previous position in that I would never vote for Ignatieff as PM. Not that he's grown on me, but Steven Harper has just taken such a stance of such ignorance that I could never support him.
Even though I don't like Bob Rae, I'd choose Rae over Harper. I'd even choose the NDP or the green party over Harper.
Ignatieff's intelligence and affluent responses to difficult questions have impressed me. Israel needs a strong Canadian PM to take a stance against their transgressions while pushing for peace and dialogue. It bothers me that other Liberal leadership hopefuls have remained bothersomely quiet on the issue.

In the first days of the invasion, I waited to see if I agreed with Harper's initial "Measured response," approach to Israel's invasion. I even gave him the benefit of the doubt when he didn't retract the statement after Israel went on to destroy the infrastructre of a predominately peace loving country and kill over 1000 of their civilians.

But his latest ignorant support of Israel, casting a blind eye to their war crimes and and destruction, including the environmental catastrophe on Lebanon's coastline, means I can never, ever support Harper. I'm taking Ignatieff's side on this issue, and if a few pro-Israeli politicians want to cross the floor and pander to the miniscule Jewish vote, let them do so, you're not wanted in a Peace loving Canadian political party. Ignatieff is catering to the common sense vote of people with a clue about Middle Eastern politics. I'd be willing to bet there are more of us than there are hard-core even beyond stupidity Israel supporters - even in Israel!

No comments: