Monday, April 09, 2007

Africanizing your own scrabble board

I don't mind dishing out $20 or so for a brand new game of scrabble. I've done it on more than one occasion throughout my life. One for home, one for the road...
A friend is visiting for a couple days and Scrabble is one of the games we both like, but we needed a board.
We headed over to the local supermarket and checked out the prices - 450 dirhams - about sixty Canadian dollars, for a game. I've never spent that much on a board game in my life. In Canada, if I searched around, I could probably find it for a quarter that price.
So I decided to improvise. Similar to the guys playing draughts with bottle caps on a painted piece of cardboard, I made my own. It was certainly better than dishing out a weeks salary for the typical Moroccan and cursing every time I opened the box.


Step one: Find the image of a scrabble board on the internet.

Step two: Increase it to a good size so it prints half on one page, half on another - print it.

Step Three: Cut it up and glue it to a folding piece of cardboard.

Step Four: Find images of letters on the internet. Print them so they are the same size as the squares on the scrabble board. Cut them out.

Step five: Cut out pieces of cardboard to the same size as the letters, in my case, 1.5 centimetres.

Step six: Glue the letters onto the cardboard pieces.

Step seven: Put scotch tape over the glued piece so they aren't all sticky.

And there you have it. Your own Scrabble board! Happy Scrabbling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must have a lot of time on your hands!

Anonymous said...

Actually, some people call it multitasking. That's when you do more than one thing at a time, like rocking the baby's chair with your foot, listening to the hockey game over an internet feed and making a scrabble set with your hands. Perhaps a simpler example might be taking a leak and brushing your teeth at the same time.