Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Going Sugar Free

For the last eight months, since well before Zack was born, I've been editing the same two Egyptian chapters, which are near the end of my novel. There are a number of excuses as to why I haven't finished them - sheer inability to focus being the leading reason. If I do find time to edit, the writing often hasn't gotten any better, but worse. This is especially because I can't focus for more than ten minutes without an interruption of some sort, and when I do get back to it, hours later, I go on to repeat myself and make things worse.

I'm having more trouble with Egypt's chapters than any other in my book. Part of it is that I'm trying to condense six months worth of experiences into a couple of chapters, and I keep adding and deleting scenes based on what I feel is important.
It's also my first significant attempt at writing an extended romance, and I've never been great at letting my personal feelings hang out there.

A third reason, I feel, might be my eating habits. A chocolate bar or two usually is my afternoon snack. If there's junk in the house, I eat it. As of now, I'm cutting back my sugar intake to next to zero. No sweets, no cookies, no cakes, no chocolates, no candy, for at least a month. I'll also limit my caffeine to one cup of coffee in the morning.

Starting Monday, we hired a maid/nanny to cook, clean and take care of Zack. (No, I'm not rich, nanny's just cost $100 bucks a month here in Morocco, less than five dollars a day.)

As for right now, I'm going to make a cup of caffeine free rooibos tea, kiss little Zack, and come back to start editing Egypt, hopefully for the last time.

No comments: