Sunday, April 15, 2007

Terrorism ruined my day!

While I haven't suffered the tragic loss so many families of victims have, today is the first day terrorism messed up my plans.
Yesterday, two terrorists blew themselves up near the US consulate in Casablanca. Apparantly, while one distracted the police, the other was trying to get into the American Language Centre. The Police stopped one of them and asked for ID, so rather than bring out their identiy card, they ran away and blew themselves up instead.
They didn't kill anyone else, just themselves. They did manage to slightly injure an elderly lady - because we all know elderly ladies are detrimintal to anarchaic Islamic-fundamentalist societies.

The situation reminds me of Monty Python, The Life of Brian. At the end of the movie, the suicide squad run up to the crucified Brian, who is hanging stuck on the cross and begging for help to get down. Instead of help him, they all stab themselves through the heart and collapse to the ground. "We showed them," the last one says, as he breathes his last breath.

Well, terrorists, you sure showed us.

So how did it ruin my plans? My softball team, the Rebels, play each Sunday at the American School. As a result of terrorist activities near an American run institution in Casablanca, all American institutions are closed. Until when, I'm not sure.

After the game, we planned to meet up at the American Club, a restaurant and pub. But, being American, its also closed.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, the entire kill yourself and take others with you makes little sense to me.

Then again, I've never been brainwashed to carry out an evil deed. Twisting faith to control people has proven to be a powerful tool. I think it was Einstein who said, "There are two things that are infinite - Human Stupidity and the Universe, and I'm not sure about the Universe."

No comments: