Sunday, December 09, 2007

Time for a writing holiday.

I'm at a stage now where I need to just print of the manuscript, take off for a few days, and work.

So I'm heading north, without my celphone, without my computer, with nothing but my manuscript and some pencils to hack this thing up.

Something I haven't done yet is to take the book, from start to finish, and in one big push just edit everything. I'm sure I'll find some repetitive descriptions, I know I say "He had a bright smile," a dozen too many times, and get a deeper understanding of my bad writing habits.

I need this. I consider it a break from the normal routine. The idea was inspired by a few things. One was a friend organising a writing getaway. I unfortunately couldn't attend.

Another was watching the movie Capote. The main character and famous writer, Capote, talked of getting a writing holiday in order to have sex with his gay lover and get work done. My intentions rest solely on the latter.

I'll update my progress, and describe my writing holiday when I return.

Until then, it's time to disappear.

No comments: