Sunday, September 27, 2009

22. Getting It Out There II: Dan Graham on self-publishing and print-on-demand

I have mixed feelings about this session. While I feel I got some useful information , I feel I paid $25 to have someone give me a sales pitch.

While Dan Graham was an enthusiastic representative of a self publisher, if I'd called him up, arranged a meeting, and talked about self publishing my book, then I could have gotten the same thing out of it for free.

On the bright side, like the other seminars and readings, it humanized an industry I had little knowledge about. Dan also provided interesting information on how books are made, and faux pas that might be made and avoided with a good self publisher.

A few months ago, I contracted an editor to work on part of my novel, paying several hundred dollars. In the end, I felt he made few concrete suggestions for improvement. I found a lot of corrections he missed, and few corrections he actually made. So finding someone who can provide me with a quality editor, and who has a personal stake in making sure they are good, might turn out to be the most valuable piece of information I get out of my entire Kingston Writers Fest experience.

1 comment:

BookWhirl.com said...

You shouldn't be discouraged with your prior experience. There are still a hundred ways to market your book with less or no cost at all. One of the effective means is through social networking sites. Use those sites to establish your identity and widen the popularity of your book. If you want to advertise your book for free, please do avail of our Free Ad Listing service. Here's a link for your convenience: http://www.bookwhirl.com/Online-Directory-Listing.php

Sincerely,

BookWhirl.com | You have the book...We have the Marketing Resources.

Get more interesting tips and articles from Bookwhirl.com Facebook Fan Page, and learn more about the dynamics of marketing self-published books, Author Marketing Services, and Book Marketing Services.