Tuesday, November 03, 2009

The Tricks of Trick or Treating


Later in the night, when all the little kids had returned home, some older kids rang our bell, impatiently, three times. It must have taken me too long to answer, for in the thirty seconds it took me to get to the door, they'd taken off to the next house.

I could hear our neighbour greeting them, and could hear her taking her time, "Oh, hi, and look and your costumes... Are you having a happy halloween? Let's seen now... I'll give you some of these, and oh, what else, maybe some chips, yep, let me see, how many more kids do you think will be coming, I have to make the candy last, hrmm..."
I could almost hear those impatient kids thinking out loud. "Hurry up lady, just give us the damn candy so we can race to the next house."

A definite mentality change develops as kids grow older. Earlier in the night, when I'd taken Zack and his friend to different houses, Zack would typically say, "Trick or Treat."
The person at the door would greet him, and smile kindly, and say "Hey its Superman!"
Zack would point at one of their decorations and say, "Hey, a spider web," or, "What's that, can I press the button too," or, "I'm superman, I can fly!"

He'd stare in awe at the glowing pumpkins, at the other kids costumes, at the decorations and everything. I had to remind him to say thank you, and bye, and remind him there was more candy to get at the next house, then gently guide him away.

It was a fun day, and I look forward to next year.

No comments: