Saturday, November 13, 2010

Been a while

I'm in a bad mood. I can't say why, in particular, that is. I don't have anything particularly terrible happening that might cause me to be feeling down. I guess there isn't a whole lot to be feeling excited about either. I think I'm in the accelerated version of culture shock.
Am I missing home?
No, not really.
Do I dislike my job?
I like it, though it has it's good days and bad days. I'm learning lessons and figuring the system out.
My colleagues?
They're good. I like them, although I haven't gotten really close to anyone.
I guess I'm in a rut. A rut where the week races by and I don't feel like I've accomplished what I wanted to get done. I'm tired, a lot.

The question is, what should I do about it? What can make me feel better? That's what I need, a plan, some goals, realistic goals.

Happiness starts with health. The intention to work out daily kind of went out the window. I haven't had a proper workout in weeks.

Goal number one: excercise six out of every eight days. Half a hour per workout.

My eating habits need to improve. No more McDonalds on the night shifts. Now that the halloween candy is on it's last throws, that won't be a big issue either.

Financial - deep breath. I'm not in trouble, but I like stability and that's not where I am right now. Sure, we just moved and have had a lot of expenses lately. My wife still wants to buy a sectional couch, do a dozen improvement projects, etc, etc. I like to keep a cushion of $10,000 and climbing.

It was there, but I see that goal slipping further and further away.

I might get a cheque for $5000 for some taxes that I filed a grievance for. Then again, I might not.

I might get my book published and get some extra income that way. Then again, I might not.

I should get a raise in January if everything goes well.

So there's plenty to be optimistic about. I'm clamoring to the next level, to get some debt paid off. I've two little ones that absorb the majority of my time off.

It's the life of the Dad in the new city, in the new job, without enough friends.

We need a Mrs. Lee, and that will be the subject of my next blog. I've finally figured out something to write about. All I needed was a good rant to get me going.

No comments: